FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Impacts of demonstrations on travel
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:44 pm
JNelson113

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
sorry

I didn't want to create controversy in this thread by describing the US news media's coverage of the HK events as "sensationalistic". I clearly should have chosen my words more carefully. My points was just that for those of us in the US, reading the media coverage by US journalists, we would think that the entirety of HK is currently a smoldering pile of rubble with some bricks and tear gas flying around for good measure. However, it seems that even at the worst times of the protests there have been pockets of calm in the city. That was my point . . . that the city was surprisingly normal when I was expecting complete chaos. For instance, I drove by Nathan Road and was amazed that it wasn't a complete disaster area, after seeing other pictures of it.

One thing that's been excellent in this thread is that we've gotten different perspectives on the situation from FTers actually living there: some have been more concerned and cautious, while others have been more encouraging that people visit. Both are valid perspectives and I've been helped a lot by them. I hope that they'll keep weighing in, and I really enjoy reading the trip reports of other visitors. I just today booked my next trip for late January. Looking forward!

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 30, 2019 at 12:30 am Reason: Mod edits to conform to rule 12