FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Cats, Fast Cars and a Stolen Phone: Southern Africa, Portugal and Brazil
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:20 am
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Proflight Zambia Economy Class: Lusaka - Lilongwe

Proflight Zambia
Economy Class
P014: LUN-LLW (Lusaka to Lilongwe)
10 Nov 2019
BAE Jetstream 41
9J-PCY
Seat 3A
Departure: 11:05AM
Arrival: 12:35PM

I was anxious to catch this flight, so I made it through immigration and security in record time. It took perhaps 5 minutes from deplaning until I was in the departure holding area. When I arrived in the somewhat austere departure area, the gate for my flight hadn't yet opened and there were only a few other pax around. So despite the tight connection, I really had no reason to be at all concerned. After a few minutes, the final security checkpoint opened and we were allowed to proceed to the gate.

As with the previous flight, at no time was there any weighing of cabin baggage. Boarding proceeded smoothly and we caught a bus to the plane. The layout on this plane was identical to the previous one.

9J-PCY

Leaving Lusaka

The loads were a bit lighter on this flight, but it was just as tight inside.

Seat 3A Again

Another snack service. This time is was chips and juice/water. The choice of chips was between cheese and onion and fruit chutney. Fruit chutney seemed like a strange flavor for chips, so I went with the cheese.

Snack Service

Inflight

We landed at LLW on time and I proceeded through immigration. The immigration process was very slow. The process was entirely manual and it took a few minutes to process each person. The whole thing took 30 minutes or more before I was free. I exchanged some money (the ATMs didn't work) and purchased a SIM for my phone.

I'd arranged for a city tour and the tour guide was supposed to pick me up at the airport. I waited around, but never could find him. My calls and emails to the tour operator were unanswered because it was a Sunday. Instead of hanging around forever, I grabbed a taxi and headed to my hotel to check-in. On the way to the hotel, the tour operator called me and told me the guide was at the airport waiting for me. Since I'd already left, I asked him to come collect me at my hotel instead.

A somewhat annoying way to begin the visit to Malawi, but not the end of the world.

LLW Airport