FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ventra card options in Chicago
View Single Post
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:10 pm
andrewesque

Originally Posted by eng3
1. Buy single ride Ventra ticket for $5 which includes the bus transfer, then buy another ticket with transfer ($2.50 cash only?) on the bus back? I'm not clear what I can but from the driver and my options to pay
You're correct on the $5 from O'Hare. If you want to use a Ventra ticket on the way back, I'm pretty sure you have to buy it from a ticket vending machine in a station as I don't believe drivers sell any kind of fare media (and incidentally the cost is $3, since there is an additional $0.50 premium for use of these disposable tickets). You can pay with cash on the bus, but this doesn't entitle you to any transfers so you'll have to pay again at the L station, i.e. not a good idea. Total: $8.

2. Buy Ventra card for $5, load $2.50. Can I register immediately to use the $5? Then save the 2.50 for the return? I could of course load $5, register later, but the I'll have a $2.50 balance and probably lose that due to inactivity
It has been a while since I've done this, but IIRC the $5 balance does become immediately available for use if you register. (But I can't promise, because it's been a while!) Otherwise your understanding of this situation seems to be correct. Total: $7.50 assuming your credit becomes immediately available.

3. Pay with phone costing $12 (5+2.25+2.25+2.50)
I don't think this is correct (now) -- the CTA and Ventra pages on paying via phone now indicate that transfers are included when paying with "pay as you go" credit, so your total cost should be the same as if you were paying with a Ventra card, i.e. $7.50 ($5 for the trip from O'Hare, then $2.25 + $0.25 for the return trip).

4. Buy card with app somehow?
I don't think this is possible.

All in all, if you are an infrequent visitor to Chicago it seems like paying with your phone is the most convenient/economical option. (I like collecting these kinds of cards myself so I'd probably get the card, which also has the advantage of recording your transit history.)