FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2019]
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:34 pm
threeoh

Originally Posted by EntropyTheory
a buddy of mine who works for UA told me that my flight is currently oversold by one.
They sold one more ticket than there are seats, or they sold one more ticket than they think they can? Very different. One more ticket than seats is no big deal, happens all the time and doesn't mean much, they can even keep fare buckets for sale.

One more ticket than they want to, which you can think of as Y = -1, can happen with irrops, accommodating GS, deadheading crew, changing RM models, downgauging, etc. and means higher VDB likelihood.

In your opinion, will this flight be oversold/overbooked enough to warrant VDB,
nobody knows until the flight has finished boarding. If it was over by 30 or something because of downgauge perhaps I'd say slam dunk, but if it's only over by 1 they will wait till T-15 and/or the last person in line has boarded before giving compensation.

This is a holiday weekend, but Friday is not the busiest travel day. If it was Wednesday/Sunday especially with the weather going on across the midwest I'd say higher than normal chance, but not sure about Friday.

and if so, what's the best way in this scenario to make sure it goes to me?
1. Don't check luggage
2. Be there when the gate agents arrive at the podium ~1 hour before flight, approach them before they get busy and say that you're willing to be bumped of they need it.
3. Stay near the podium where they can see you.
4. Have alternatives to suggest ("I see flight XXX has seats and is leaving in 3 hours...") and be flexible.

In general, make it easy for them to go with you. You said hello, you said you were willing, you're traveling alone with no luggage, you're right there and easy to call from the podium, you already have some alternatives in mind and they don't have to waste time looking up 6 alternatives that you will reject....