FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big Cats, Fast Cars and a Stolen Phone: Southern Africa, Portugal and Brazil
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:48 am
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Chobe National Park (Day 1)

Chobe National Park
Kasane, Botswana

After checking in to the hotel and dropping off my bag, I grabbed my camera with telephoto lens and headed off for a game drive at Chobe National Park. I will add that I was very glad I brought along a real camera this time. In the past, my only camera I'd bring was my iPhone. While good for street photography, the iPhone is almost useless for wildlife photography, as I'd discovered in Kenya. Bringing a full frame MILC resulted in a massive improvement in the quality of my photos and was worth the large weight penalty. However, I only brought the one lens (a telezoom), so the camera was hopeless for my typical style of travel photography.

The park is only a 5 minute drive down the road and boasts large and varied populations of many types of animals. Notably, the park is host to 130,000 African elephants. Before it became a national park, the area near Kasane was a teak plantation. When the park was created, the people living within the bounds of the park were resettled in Kasane.

I was visiting at what was typically the start of the rainy season, but the rains had not yet begun. So the area was still very dry and animals were staying pretty close to the largest water source around, the Chobe River.

Chobe National Park Entrance

Dirt Tracks

Chobe River

Chobe River

Chobe River

Chobe River

Impala

Impala

Chobe River

Chobe River

Chobe River

Lion Tracks

Impala

Young Male Impala

Chacma Baboon

Impala and Baboons

Chacma Baboon

Mongoose
The best photo I could get of them

Chacma Baboon

Chacma Baboon

Chobe River

Chacma Baboon

Chobe River

Chacma Baboon

Warthog Snoozing

Any time an animal dies of suspected anthrax, the park rangers burn the corpse to prevent the disease from spreading.

Suspected Anthrax-infected Carcass

Impala

Before long, we found the elephants. With over 100k, they're not too hard to find. Especially during the dry season where where foliage cover is pretty minimal.

Elephant

Elephant

Elephant

Elephant

Baby Elephant

Baby Elephant

Not a Baby Elephant

Elephants don't necessarily live at the river full time. Instead, they walk fairly long distances from their grazing areas to the river every few days.

Chobe River

Elephant Swimming
Note the two crocs flanking it

Tourists

Nile Crocodile Incubating
She'd been in that spot essentially unmoved for the previous 10-11 weeks.

Marabou Stork

African Openbill

Warthogs

Eventually, we received word (via radio) on the location of a pride of lions, so we set off to find them.

Lions

Lions

Lions

Lions Crossing the Road

Lions

Lions

Young Male Lion

Lions

Lions

Giraffe

Giraffe

Chobe National Park (Day 1)

Charred Elephant Bones
Another suspected anthrax case

Charred Elephant Bones

Elephant Butt

As the sun got low, we made our way to the park exit and heard some load rumbling from the bush. After driving a bit, we stumbled upon these two lounging a few feet from the road.

Lion Mating Pair

Lion Mating Pair

Lion Mating Pair

Lion Mating Pair

Lion Mating Pair

Lion Mating Pair

Male Adult Lion

Lion Mating Pair
Taken with my iPhone to get a sense of my actual distance from the lions.

The tour was over and it was getting dark, so we headed back to the hotel for the evening.

Chobe National Park Sunset

Chobe National Park Sunset

Last edited by swingaling; Nov 27, 2019 at 9:58 am