FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2019
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:19 am
CX HK

Originally Posted by dannyhk
Its time to choose whether to stick with the same extra 5X RewardCash category for 2020 or switch to another one, before the 9 December selection deadline.

I've stuck with Overseas Spending as my 5X RewardCash category for years, mostly because of how much I buy online from overseas merchants. But am I right in thinking that HSBC Red now beats 5X RewardCash for Overseas Spending when it comes to online spending overseas? In which case, much less point in sticking with Overseas Spending for 2020 when you can now use HSBC Red instead for overseas online spending. Although still a good option if you take a lot of overseas holidays (and maybe also when 5X RewardCash stacks with other HSBC Overseas spending promos, such as the one for Premier MC this year).
You may still stick with Overseas Spending for your reward category. For online, use Red card as you said, but for regular traveling, put all your spending on HSBC VS. The reason is HSBC VS would offer you 3.6% cash back for all foreign spend, with no prerequisites (e.g. no minimum spend or cap), and you can still participate in any overseas promotions HSBC gives out to potentially earn 4-5%.

That is probably unmatched for an overseas card, whereas if you were to put it with Dining, there are many other cards that would offer you decent dining rewards already.