FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What type of globalist does Hyatt value more?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:48 pm
jameswes

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I really wonder about which globalist Hyatt values more. Is it the business traveler that travels on corporate rates or is it the high spender on the co-branded card earning globalist through spend.

I realize there are others like the family traveler but the first two are I have to assume the bulk of their globalists I could be wrong though.

What does everyone think? I wonder the profit margin differential between the two.
Honestly, I think it's all of the above. There's a reason why Hyatt has a number of brands and why they're continuing to expand.

My $0.02 is that there are a lot of people that are a combination of all of the above to varying degrees.
- Absolutely there are people that spend 100+ to 200+ nights in a hotel on OPM and Hyatt's happy to have them. They stay loyal to Hyatt because they earn a lot of points and status and it allow them to take free vacations when they're not working, or it just gives them a consistently good quality.
- I think that there are a lot of people that get 10-30 nights from work at Hyatt and couldn't quite figure out how to maintain globalist before the CC. Now with the 5 + more nights on the CC, and some personal travel thrown in, they can have a good chance of making globalist every year.

My evidence of that is that it seems like Hyatt culled the # of globalists more than intended when they increased from 25 stays or 50 nights to 55 nights (there were a number of promos for extra nights, status matches/challenges/etc). I think that they need to have a critical mass of people that are globalists and are loyal enough to pay a premium and go out of their way to stay at Hyatt no matter where they are. And they reward those people with status/benefits/etc, but that they need that core group of loyal people. Outside of a few heavily concentrated markets, Hyatt doesn't have anywhere near the footprint of IHG/Marriott/Hilton, and I find that when comparing similar hotels, Hyatt is usually just a little bit more expensive. So general John Doe booking on Expedia just picks the cheapest hotel, which isn't Hyatt.