FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Important: You must be able to place your hand baggage in the overhead bins unaided"
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:44 pm
littlefish

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by bizeesheri
On recent trip in F, an elderly couple in front of me, probably near 90 had some issues putting carryon in overhead. I saw no men standing up to help so I did (60yo F). No problem, just being helpful as my parents are same age range. They couldn't thank me enough for the assistance.
Virgin don't have F (First Class), was this an onward Delta domestic in the USA?
In general, Cabin Crew should not be expected to assist passengers with heavy or difficult baggage, to the overheads. There are Health and Safety issues.
And more pragmatically, on this is wider across airlines not particularly VS, such crew do not get compensated or time-off should they suffer injury in helping out; quite a few learn this the hard way.
As a passenger I will not assist with heavy bags either, whereas I will assist where the other passenger is too short or otherwise finding difficulty in stowing their bag.