FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A big advantage of reward redemption Vs Revenue tickets
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:08 pm
lainys

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by jmw
As an infrequent flyer, you are at high risk of forfeiting the points you purchase if you don't spend it all in two years. A redemption doesn't reset the clock. All you need is for life to happen and you can easily forget about it and let the $1000 vanish. I don't think this is a great deal anyway by buying at 1.8 cents, so I would just skip this "deal". Cash purchases aren't that bad with 1 year expiration and funds tied to your name since there are no change fees.
With no expiration date on points, buying points are better value (for me personally) than buying tickets (with 1 year expiration on the value if unused) as unused tickets are a PITA to track especially for 4+ different family members. My preference is to use points whenever possible so that when I cancel a family booking it all goes back to my account.

Last edited by lainys; Dec 11, 2019 at 10:01 am Reason: Editing post for clarity.