FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official secrets act [wirelessly connecting to CCR printers]
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:46 am
abligh

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by flatlander
Not answering the security policy question, but my approach to printing stuff is:
  • print to PDF
  • save to a place I can reach with a web browser (Google Drive is such a place)
  • fetch the PDF with its unique hard-to-guess URL using the browser on the BA computers and print the PDF from the BA computer
  • delete the PDF from the public web service.
Data exposure is minimised, I don't login to the BA computer, and I don't need to network my own laptop to the printer, only to the Internet.
Note this approach is likely to transfer the file to the hard disk of the BA computer in question at step 3. At the very least you'll want to delete the file and empty the recycle bin (or equivalent). Note this won't securely delete it. Also note any virus or similar on the computer in question will be able to do what it likes with your data.

I would avoid doing this with any seriously confidential data.

OT: one of my favourite "need to print something" moments was in the Taj in Bombay. When I asked to print a file I was sent to the business centre. They asked me to email the file to them and I looked a bit reluctant, and they assured me their service was highly confidential etc. etc. I did so, they printed it, and gave it to me saying "10 crosswords? Is that right?" - they then realised my hesitancy had actually been sheepishness at asking them to print crosswords.