FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Category 6, no room service??
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:07 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl

In the hotels I worked, we lost a lot of money on Room Service lunch and dinner. We made up for those losses by doing a large number of breakfast orders during the work week.
Finally, an explanation other than just captive greed, for why hotel breakfasts with powdered eggs and cold sausages cost $35.

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Doordash and Uber Eats get you many more options from many more places at likely better prices
There seems to be a fringe segment of society that prefers low-quality, over-priced food, from a limited menu, preferably consumed at a desk or small coffee table in a cramped hotel room. Some even seem to view it as a luxurious splurge. If you have a reason (and good ones definitely exist -- such as when I refused to watch the Cubs win Game 7 of the World Series in a St. Louis bar or restaurant) to eat in your bedroom, then why wouldn't you order from a restaurant of good quality at half the price -- and probably delivered faster as well?

The only reason I can figure out is that some still have a romantic notion of room service -- as I did when I first started traveling for work ~20 years ago.