FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does UA really want to expand operations at MNL?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:02 pm
jptan

Originally Posted by jsloan
I knew about the frequency limits, but I wasn’t aware of gauge and route limits. I’d be very surprised to learn that the US had ceded exclusive right to nonstop service to the mainland to PR, though.

I don’t know the details of the agreement, but I would hope that UA would have taken steps to keep the authority dormant rather than surrendering it entirely, assuming that was possible. (Generally, I don’t think route authorities get yanked unless another airline complains).

Flying PR isn’t exactly the most wonderful experience in the world; I suspect that UA could gain market share head-to-head if prices were similar, but I’m not sure that UA would want to enter the market if its best case scenario is matching PR’s prices.

UA, prove me wrong...
Are the passengers flying to MNL pretty price sensitive (leisure v. business travel)? I haven't flown UA transpacific, but you're right in that PR's hard product isn't the very competitive, even in J. I know a lot of my friends end up flying PAL just because of their direct flights.