FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Juice Jacking" — Are USB ports on aircraft or even Amtrak safe?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:10 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Analise
When flying or on the train, I charge my iPhone and/or iPad while using it. Given the recent publicity about "juice jacking", are the USB ports on Delta or any airline as well as on trains (Amtrak, Deutche Bahn, etc) safe?
"Juice-jacking" on trains and buses and planes would involve much the same kind of thing. But the issue with planes would be how would the data thieves get access to the data from "juice-jacking" fittings. It's way easier for criminals and others to get data from fixed station juice-jacking than from moving vehicles, but it wouldn't take much more to do it from train and bus USB ports than from fixed station locations. Airplanes would be more complicated, but where there is a will, there would be a way.

Aren't there still some power-only cables being sold out there for iOS devices? Either way, I tend to find a rechargeable portable battery with a cable or two to be fine by me.

I would have to assume that "juice-jacking" on moving vehicles is not the highest risk way for devices' data to be compromised and grabbed by criminals, governments, and so on -- even as it's technically possible and been done before.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 19, 2019 at 7:15 am