FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help choosing airport hotel at ATL
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:23 pm
WillBarrett_68

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've never done PLS, but most international flights arrive into E or F for immigration and customs. Passengers without a connection and bags checked through normally enter the USA at F and then with their checked bags, exit the terminal (go landside) at F to the curb. If the bag can't get through TSA airport security, you cannot get to the plane train, which is airside, and must wait for a horrible landside shuttle bus to the domestic terminal.

If PLS is a preclearance airport, it *should* be treated like a domestic arrival with bags sent to domestic baggage claim at ATL. However, once on a precleared DL nonstop I flew from DUB to ATL, there was some confusion and we were sent through passport control in E, etc. upon arrival. [I think either the flight was sent to the wrong gate or the GA meeting the flight was confused.]
1) it doesn't matter which concourse the plane arrives at, all international checked bags go to the international terminal baggage claim.

2) it doesn't matter if PLS has preclearance or not, all international checked bags go to international baggage claim.

OP, if you are checking bags, you will collect them at the international terminal (landside). You can then take the landside shuttle bus from international to domestic terminal to get the skytrain to the gateway hotels or whatever other transportation you want. You could also just get an uber/taxi from the international terminal.