FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need help choosing airport hotel at ATL
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:48 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by deeannjd
So how will this work upon arrival back into ATL? Are you saying if we pick up bags in ATL, we will no longer be airside and unable to use the plane train? So what are the options to get back to the skytrain from bag claim in international terminal?
I've never done PLS, but most international flights arrive into E or F for immigration and customs. Passengers without a connection and bags checked through normally enter the USA at F and then with their checked bags, exit the terminal (go landside) at F to the curb. If the bag can't get through TSA airport security, you cannot get to the plane train, which is airside, and must wait for a horrible landside shuttle bus to the domestic terminal.

If PLS is a preclearance airport, it *should* be treated like a domestic arrival with bags sent to domestic baggage claim at ATL. However, once on a precleared DL nonstop I flew from DUB to ATL, there was some confusion and we were sent through passport control in E, etc. upon arrival. [I think either the flight was sent to the wrong gate or the GA meeting the flight was confused.]