FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:30 pm
PointsPanda

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Do you guys think that being previously added as a registered cardholder for a now closed card makes you ineligible for a bonus?

I had my former business partner add me as a user for the amex biz gold many years ago, had since log since cancelled it.

I got the dreaded "You will not be eligible for the signup bonus because you have previously had this card, do you still wish to apply?"

Different EIN, different social. Is this normal?

Even weirder I tried applying for some other cards that i'm positive I never had before and I kept getting this message as well.

In the end the only card that didn't give me the message was the new green card, the 35k is kinda weak but I needed a large carry on bag anyways so took advantage of the $150 Away Travel credit, and figured the 3x on travel and restaurants will provide a nice balance to move some awards off my Chase Reserve and get some more MR rewards points, as I usually put that on a sapphire but just overloaded on chase points, and since lost of korean air and united devalutation, i now think MR rewards are more valuable because of ANA.

Do you guys know if there is anyway around this message? Like applying on another computer, incognito, maybe using a slightly different name?

This sucks, I can't take advantage of the juicy 75k on $10k spend on the gold or the fantastic 70k skymiles on $2k spend for the delta platinum *sigh.

Maybe time to move onto Citi now that seems like both Chase and Amex giving me the middle finger.