FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMS=LHR-ATL Duty free purchase
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:38 am
jlc1978

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
few mistaken answers here including some rather empatically wrong ones (being polite here)

I've always found the duty free staff at AMS to be clued up and always ask iwhat your final destination is and bagging according to that.

Basically f you have a same day connection at say LHR to the US they will put it into a STEB rather than an ordinary carrier bag which will cause no issues at all (well as long as you havn't opened the STEB)

The STEB will have a receipt inside and security staff will look at that to make sure it is valid..

This applies even if you;ve bought say a 1l bottle of gin or vodka or whatever. The 100ml limit does not apply to items in a STEB.

STEB = Security Tamper Evident Bag
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I figured a STEB would be used and OK but wanted verify it.Sometimes my ATL-AMS-beyond route is cheaper enough via LHR to make up for the extra hassle since we are on a fixed travel budget and keep what is not spent.

i was not taking a shot at the duty free staff, they were helpful as always but several said they weren’t sure, others that it is OK.