FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Insurance/Compensation Options for an approx 13 hour Delay (BA 28)
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:37 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum Dan Son, sorry to hear of the travel disruption and I hope it doesn't get too tedious for your family if they are also travelling.

The Express train has been running pretty consistently through the troubles, so personally I would look to find accommodation within walking distance of HK Central, such as the hotels around Pacific Place (Conran, JW Marriott, Shangri-La). Alternatively - and it's slightly more risky, the hotels close to Kowloon (e.g. W). I appreciate that the situation appears to be slowly escalating, but Saturday mornings remain reasonably quiet and if you allow 2 hours for a trip which only takes 1 hour I am confident that all will be well. I'm a former HK resident and I have been there twice in the last month. There is an added advantage in going to a premium hotel - they have their own limos and will find a way through if necessary. As it happens, hotel rates in HKG have fallen like a stone so you'll be OK there. There is no question that you are entitled to this money and I can't recall a single case where BA have refused Right to Care.

You could use any "concierge" benefit on Amex to see if they can get a good hotel at a better than public rate with perhaps extra benefits.

The 600€ for the delay can't be counted upon 100% but my view would be that BA need to have the aircraft at their LHR base to cope with inherent flying conditions such as lightning strikes. BA may indeed refuse initially but I have a high confidence you will get your Article 7 compensation eventually.

Since you have a lot of time to kill, I would suggest a visit to the BA Forum Dashboard, where there is a very detailed thread on EC261 which will tell you a lot more. One aspect is that the figures quoted by BA are guidelines, not limits, however in the current situation you should be fine with the figures mentioned. And no, you don't need to share rooms if you are a single traveller.