FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 29 people on standby and i was last..
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:13 am
dlaue

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Although slightly off topic, I observed that there was no standby list displayed on the monitors at LAX on Memorial Day. My wife and I were on on the standby list and I received widely different answers about our positions on the list (I am A list preferred, she my companion). The list length was described as any number from four to fifteen. And our positions on the list were described as from first to eighth. As it turned out, we both cleared the list along with three other passengers.

Here are a few other observations about this experience:

(1) there were some passengers being paged throughout the terminal for re-accommodations for, I presume, missed connections. This could explain a dynamic wait list. It might also explain the missing public display of the list.

(2) I told the gate agent that my wife and I would split up, if necessary. The agent was unsure if it were OK for a companion to fly without their partner. The gate agents had different opinions on this, so they called someone who confirmed that this was OK. Of course I do not know if this was simply a temporary waiver of the "companion must fly with partner" rule, or if this is policy.