FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Salt Lake City and Park City Trip Planning
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:40 am
amanuensis
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JTE458
Bumping this to ask, is Uintas and Mirror Lake ok to travel and hike to this time of year? Heading to Park City this weekend.
UDOT closes several high mountain roads each winter, and the Mirror Lake Highway (Highway 150) is one of those. It is still open right now UDOT TRAFFIC but will close any day now. Only if you are VERY experienced at backcountry hiking in winter conditions (such as knowing how to use snowshoes, having an emergency shelter with you, survival food, locator beacon, etc.) should you attempt to hike in the mountains at this time of year. For the benefit of other readers, once the highway closes, there may be ski mobile rental businesses open at the point where the highway is closed. Some people ride the snowmobiles up to the lake, I believe. (When I googled "Mirror Lake" and "snowmobile rental" there were several display ads from providers.)

FWIW, I grew up in Kamas, which is the town located at the Utah end of the Mirror Lake Highway. (Evanston is the town at the Wyoming end.)

ETA: I have looked at the weather forecast and it seems good at present. Thus, if you have your heart set on it, I recommend calling the Kamas Ranger Station on this Friday for their advice about driving and hiking and if they are okay with it, then proceed cautiously. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcn...ea/?recid=8983
Still have food and blankets with you in the car and supplies with you in your backpack for a sudden change in the conditions. This could be the LAST weekend that I would be okay with trying this.

Last edited by amanuensis; Nov 13, 2019 at 9:02 am