FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New qualifying points system for status from 2024
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:03 am
Nick Art
Moderator: SAS

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by worldclubber
It‘s still 30 intercontinental J flights to get HON. All on LH metal. Every year!

Not exactly giving away HON for free.
Do a XXX-FRA/MUC-TUN round trip in P for around 600EUR once per month and HON you shall be
Originally Posted by oliver2002

A diagram of the IATA regions for reference. Note that Algeria and Morocco are part of Europe...
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Note that Tunisia is in the IATA region Europe, so you only get 10 points per segment.
I would have to disagree with you Oliver. While you are right that IATA takes them as part of Europe they are regarded as a special case (in the list they are also marked specially, I think they were underlined and in the map I know they are marked as both Europe and Africa).
M&M does actually regard Morocco, Algeria and Tunesia as not being part of Europe and that despite the fact that they base their classification on the IATA code.

If my statement doesn't convince you, just take this thought experiment: If M&M would regard Morocco, Tunesia and Algeria as part of Europe today flights from Europe to these countries would only yield miles as per the European rules (and not the distance based ones). This is, however, not the case.

Furthermore: If they were regarded as part of Europe, flying Cairo to Tunesia in Egypt Air Business would yield 50 points. Given, they wouldn't be qualifying points, but still 50% of the points needed for status could then be cheated that way.

If those countries would be regarded as Europe mileage spending would also be based as an inter European flight down there, which also is not the case with M&M today.

In conclusion: I'm am 90% sure Morocco, Tunesia and Algiers will not be regarded as part of Europe, unless M&M decides to change their country and region classification, which I doubt they will do.

PS: Georgia wasn't regarded as an intra European flight by the old earning routes as well (it was also specially marked on the map, but in that case I think they might reclassify those flights to Baku, Yerevan and Tbilisi as intra European, which will lead to the funny tag on flight from baku to ashgabat to be classified as an intercontinental qualifyling 50 point flight

Last edited by Nick Art; Nov 12, 2019 at 3:10 am