FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:23 am
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by achen24
Hey guys so i'm stuck in a slight bind in that I don't have any concrete upcoming travel plans for me to utilize the $250 amex hilton credit. So my current thought is to use the eGift card trick to book a Refundable fare on delta for a future trip that may/may not change. This way if I need to change the flight for any reason I should still theoretically be covered since it's refundable. I actually need to read up on delta's refundable fare policies but does any one see any flaw in this plan? Thanks.
1. It will potentially cost you more than a $250 premium to book a refundable fare, vs. just not using the credit and booking a nonrefundable ticket once your travel plans are known.
2. DL/Amex could close this loophole at any time and you will have no recourse.
3. DL/Amex could choose to claw back the credit when you refund the ticket and you will have no recourse.
4. Ticket may be changeable/refundable but still require a change/cancellation fee, meaning you've now lost an additional $200, on top of the refundable ticket fare premium.

Could it work? Maybe. Is it a good idea and worth the risk? Up to you.