FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visiting Beirut
Thread: Visiting Beirut
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:48 pm
bsagator

Programs: DL DM
Visiting Beirut

A few months ago while looking for a place to visit that I've never been to on Skyteam, I found a great deal on LAX-BEY for $500 rt on DL/AF/KL. I called up DL and was able to use my Global Upgrade Certs for all except for CDG-BEY-AMS. Now I'm 1 week away from my trip, and I'm a little worried about the recent protests against the government going on. I really want to go, as I have been watching Beirut street food and tourism videos on YouTube, which has me very excited. I did call DL, and they did say there aren't any travel waivers for Beirut, even though I saw MEA actually does have a travel waiver in place. So I have come up with a couple of solutions in case Beirut really starts to deteriorate.

What I've come up with so far:

1. Buy second ticket the night I land to Amman, Istanbul, or Dubai. I've been to all three, but I think I would get bored rather easily. I've done all the major tourist destinations.

2. Buy ticket to Amman, cross the bridge over into Israel/Palestine. I've done this before as well, but there is more stuff to do in a weeks time. I would be very worried about problems arising on my return flight from Beirut.

3. Buy second ticket to Muscat. It's actually a place that looks fascinating to me. The only issue is there doesn't seem to be a direct flight from BEY, so it would be a long one stop, one I wouldn't be able to do after landing in Beirut at 5pm.

Any other suggestions in case Beirut becomes an issue? Algeria/Tunisia might be a place I would like to visit as well, but really havent researched flight options.