FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New MSY Terminal opens (Nov 5, 2019) - experiences, logistics, etc.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:12 pm
DELee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Now that the new terminal is officially open, I thought it would be appropriate to have a new thread with a title that is more relevant for future use.
Thanks for doing that. If I might suggest a modification to the title (by asking moderators to update) to add the date of effectivity of the opening (e.g. November 5, 2019) since it is from that date the "New Terminal" actually opened.

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
One particular paragraph has me curious:

“These local players lend their names, dishes and culinary ideas to the projects, while the national food service companies staff and operate them day-to-day. They also bring their expertise in working in airport settings.”

Does this mean that the local restaurants are merely licensing the usage of their name and the chefs are providing recipes, but not actually involved in the operation of the airport venues? I guess I can understand these scenarios, but, are they truly local restaurants, then? Does anyone have any good insight as to how these partnerships operate?
Sadly, yup. And, no, they are not truly local restaurants since the folks working there are working for companies such as Sodexo and who are there not to provide ambiance but to sling food and serve it and clean up.

How do they operate? They license the name and some of the menu from those restaurants and hope that you don't notice that the folks who are preparing the food aren't the ones who developed the recipes in the first place nor established the culinary heritage of the name on the airport terminal storefront.

David