FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unimpressed with real life experience as titanium
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:57 am
BrightlyBob
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I think a lot of this is about expectations, OP is mainly staying in Bonvoys luxury brands, RC, Edition, JW. He may have an expectation of those brands and an expectation of Titanium that is unrealistic.

Firstly, Titanium is simply the new name for Marriott’s old Platinum 75 night level. There are hundreds of thousands of us, mostly concentrated in the USA/Canada. It’s difficult to treat 75-night stayers extra specially when maybe a quarter of those checking in are at that level. In Europe the concentration of Titanium’s is lower, and in China lower still (and all Bonvoys brands are generally elevated in China, hence many Courtyards having an exec lounge). Which conveniently brings us to brands, in reality JW is a luxury brand only in Bonvoys definition. I’d really call them “business luxury” - larger rooms, better bedding bathrooms with separate bath and shower, but not really luxury service. Edition hotels are about the Ian Schrager design rather than great service. RC on the other hand is about service and does seem to treat you well.

SNAs - as a European Titanium each one clears first time every time but again I’m using them in Europe so that’s more about the fact that the preponderance of 50/75 night stayers are in USA/Canada where there’s over demand and under supply.

Lastly the silver getting the corner room - he could have booked and paid for it - people do reserve rooms other than the basic ones!