FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First and last name switched on ticket
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:56 pm
cowie

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by wheatbeer
I booked tickets on the MH website last night and have just realised that my first and last name are switched as I didn't notice that the MH website asks for the last name first when booking.

Do you think this will cause any issue when flying?

Also, my wife needs the Tier Points from this flight in order to move up to Oneworld Sapphire with BA, will this mean she won't get the points?

Thanks for any advice!
There's the "proper" way to fix this, and the "YMMV" way to fix this.

The proper way would be to call the airline up to see if they can fix it on their end without charge. That would be the ideal solution.

The "YMMV" way: If you ask them whether flying with the name order swapped will be a problem, they will tell you that it will be. If they refuse to waive the charge, you can try going ahead and flying with the wrong name order anyway. The check-in desk agent should be able to fix this on the spot -- or might not even notice it. It is a fairly common issue. I've had this fixed at check in before on JAL, but not on MH. Anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere on the Internet shows that it won't be an issue, but again, with the YMMV caveat. You probably won't be able to check in online.

As you rightfully brought up, crediting of miles will be a problem. The programme may reject the credit because the names do not strictly match. You may wish to watch the accounts carefully and ask for a manual credit if necessary.