FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rant: Membership Rewards Team Keeps Screwing Up
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:35 pm
LowValueCustomer

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Rant: Membership Rewards Team Keeps Screwing Up

After years of being generally pleased with Amex customer service, I'm beginning to be very frustrated with the MR team. First, as has been extensively documented on this forum, points routinely fail to code appropriately or to post at all. Second, and worse IMHO, is that the MR team is remarkably lazy and consistently fails to investigate the system glitches, instead opting to send the same vague form letter explaining that they have "investigated" and determined that a charge that is clearly eligible for bonus earnings is "ineligible," with no further explanation.

Not sure what others' experiences are, but this is now happening to me with some frequency. It culminated over the past week with two clearly eligible charges:

An expensive dinner at Gianni's in South Beach, which is clearly a restaurant, coding as 1x on the Gold card. They don't sell anything *but* on-premises food, as far as I am aware. Got the lazy, unresponsive form letter rejecting any adjustment.

An FHR prepaid (not advance rate, proper prepaid per Amex FHR 5X terms) booking coded as 1x on the Platinum card. Submitted a ticket and got the form response again. THIS IS NOT A MERCHANT CODING ISSUE; THIS IS AMEX IN-HOUSE. The original error itself is unacceptable. The fact that I once again got the lazy, unresponsive form letter rejecting any adjustment is simply unconscionable.

ETA the cards used for clarity

Last edited by LowValueCustomer; Nov 4, 2019 at 5:56 am