FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - January in Spain - Itinerary Help
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:54 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtremit
It sounds like it would be fun to catch a glimpse of! I think that day we would still be in Barcelona, so I'm guessing the closures wouldn't be as extensive as in a smaller town. I just checked the Sagrada Familia and Parc Güell websites and they both appear to be on normal hours on the 5th; the SF closes early on the 6th but not on the 5th.

We don't mind navigating a few closures and inconveniences -- particularly to accommodate a wonderful tradition. Just wanted to avoid a situation like Christmas in Munich several decades ago where literally every restaurant and shop was closed except a single convenience store in the Hauptbahnhof.

The only downside is I think I would miss seeing the Boqueria Market again -- last time I was there I missed it because of some random bank holiday I hadn't planned for. But it sounds like the market in Valencia is quite lovely too :-)
Lots of families with kids will be strolling around and there will be plenty of businesses catering to them on the 5th January. It’s just not a day to take out a loan or get your dry cleaning done. Hairdressers might be a problem too People will be collecting large round “donut” cakes with glazed fruit filled with tooth-cracking ceramic figures and taking them home or to visits. Parking will be horrendous and getting a taxi could be more than challenging. Other than that, there isn’t anywhere I’d rather be.
If you’re at a cabalgata, my only other warning is to watch out for flying candy. I mean this seriously. Eye injuries are not uncommon.