FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - January in Spain - Itinerary Help
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:52 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtremit
Oh, thanks for the heads up. I knew the 6th was a holiday, but hadn't figured on the parade on the 5th. Very good to know if we're planning flights.

Other than the parade, would most things be open normal hours that day? And how much tends to be closed on the 6th? I'm sure we can work around some closures but if everything is going to be closed but the hotel restaurant we might just stay in London longer
It really depends where you are.
I have family in Spain (my mum’s lot) and Three Kings is a family celebration, so whenever I’m in Spain at that time it is specifically to be with family. Means that I’m in Alicante city or Alcoy and at the parades or having Roscon cake (pre-ordered days before) at gatherings.
It’s a very similar atmosphere to Christmas Eve but with a bit of USA New York Day parade pizzazz!
In practice, this means that although shops don’t close as standard practice in the way they do on the 6th Jan, many might close early, or might close due to accessibility issues because of the parades (cabalgatas) or might close if too many staff are involved with the events and cabalgatas. As I said, it’s not a shopping day for me AND every town is different.

I love it, think it’s great that there is still an event that celebrates children and childhood. Alas for us, kids in England are back at school before the 6th, so taking my child to the cabalgatas is tricky. We’ve managed it a few times though and each time was wonderful, well worth the effort.