FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:28 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by blacksteel
The *A partner in this case is LH. It doesn't look like I can make a SDC without picking a longer iten and also incurring at least $600 in costs.

There is an option to upgrade one of the legs in my currently booked flight to business class for $70, however, the MileagePlus Customer Service rep told me that would not change the PQM for that segment. Is that true?
You may be able to SDC the last (UA-operated) portion. Say you are booked to fly FRA-ORD-PDX. After flying the LH portion (FRA-ORD), you may be able to SDC the remaining (ORD-PDX) flight to something like ORD-SFO-PDX, because that last segment is operated by UA. Normally you can only SDC in the middle of a trip if you don't check bags, but since the US requires you to pick up your bags and take them through customs, then drop them off at the counter with your airline for the next segment, you would call UA to SDC after picking up the bags but before dropping them off again. Being forced to pick up your bags before entering the US gives you a window of time to SDC.