FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carry-on luggage culture has become annoying
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:35 pm
Super Mario

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Carry-on luggage culture has become annoying

Why is it that people with a slightly larger, check-in bag, are penalized so much by the airlines? The pricing difference is often free vs $50-$60 RT. You have to wait in long lines at check-in. You have to wait to get your luggage at baggage pickup. You are waiting longer to get off of the plane for all of the people with free carry-ons to get their stuff together.

Am I really that much of a financial burden when my 35 lb suitcase needs to go on the plane? (Meanwhile, some people are easily packing on more in additional body weight than that) I'm not here to create another argument about how all of my interests should be "free," but if I have to pay, why is their crammed to the max bag backpack and carry-on free of charge? Don't get me wrong, I understand the allure of a luggage that has less chance of getting lost, and a few of the other things. Are they spending some astronomical amount of labor to transport the bags from the counter, to the plane?

It's not like I'm trying to bring excessive amounts of luggage with me. If I am going on a 7 day trip, I like to be able to bring a nice bottle with me, few pairs of shoes, snorkel equipment, etc. However, I find myself using the carry-on more and more now. There, you've went from an extra $50-$60 from me, to $0. Is this what you were hoping for?