FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hurricane Question
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:56 pm
wldtrvlr

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by gldwebs
Anyone have any experience with NW letting you rebook in the case of a hurricane? If so, how far in advance do they begin the process and what are the typical rules?

Gary
NW has gone both ways in the past, sometimes they cancel everything way in advance and sometimes they wait for the storm to hit. GENERALLY, with hurricanes the Airport Authorities for the jurisdictions predicted to be hit will decide to close the airport, therefore the affected flights are cancelled and equipment moved out of harms way. Generally you have anywhere from a day to two days notice. They generally then give you options to re-book through a certain date with out penalty. If I remeber correctly if you can not be reaccomodated in the window than you are elligible for a refund.

My question to you would be, Is the $100 re-deposit fee worth the risk of being on an island if a hurricane goes over it? If you have already canceled your accomodations than there really is no need in going. I think I would wait till about 30 minutes before the flight and then redeposit the miles and take it up with NWA after the storm hits. If you think it will hit where you are going. If you think it won't hit there, you might get some really cheap accomodations if everyone bails and leaves a high vacancy rate.

Personally, I would loose the $100 rather than go and be in a hurricanes path. If it was mainland, I might go, but I am not to fond of islands in hurricanes.