FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:05 pm
bimmerdriver

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Equally important will be what AC does once the MAX returns to service. Will the rename the bird to the 8200 as Ryanair has been speculated to be doing? Will they allow weary passengers ticketed on a MAD Max to book away from it as some US airlines like WN are? Will Calin be flying the MAX when it returns to I still confidence in passengers and crew? Will there be limitations on when the Max returns to service in terms of passengers, cargo, etc? I think many are assuming that when the bird earns its wings back and can go back to its migratory phase it’ll be Business as usual. For some reason I doubt it given the unprecedented grounding!

I would argue that Boeing’s first priority above all else is safety. Can you name a single airframe company that put safety on the backburners and succeeded? McDonald’s Douglas with the DC-10 tried that in the name of pumping out as many airframes as possible and we saw the consequences of that!

-James
Not sure why you think the designation of the aircraft has even the slightest bearing on passengers. After the aircraft has been recertified (and I think this is a matter of "when", not "if"), the only thing that matters is that the recertification process has been conducted in a thorough and objective manner - that it truly reflects on the safety of the aircraft. Everything else you mention may be a consideration for the airlines that operate the MAX, but it's irrelevant for passengers. As a passenger, if you don't wish to fly the MAX, you can and should take your money elsewhere.