FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japanese TV drama
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:50 am
quirrow

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Not a Japanese but my childhood was heavily influenced by Japanese TV shows since in Indonesia, Japanese TV shows dubbed into the local language was common. Grew up watching Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Goggle V (early predecessor of Power Rangers), Gaban and Shariban and as I went on to study in Singapore, there was plenty of Japanese mangas and TV shows shown in the local TV stations so I still do watch them. I think Japanese TV shows are somewhat under-rated, as they have some great original ideas for movies and TV shows.

Some of my favourite Japanese TV shows are Beach Boys, GTO (both original and remake), Hero (legal drama), one TV show about a high school synchronized swimming team and the Kindaichi Files. Recently watched the TV show Hanzawa Naoki which I thought was pretty good. Some Japanese TV shows have cheesy portions which makes for light-hearted entertainment and is a fresh change from the somewhat serious Hollywood TV shows.

I believe Netflix did a TV show adaptation of Death Note? I am a fan of the movie and the manga, but have not found the time to catch the TV show. I actually liked the Battle Royale movie as well, though the novel (I read the English translated version) was groundbreaking in its own way, and that made me feel the Hunger Games was such a blatant rip-off.