FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:44 pm
WildcatYXU

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by alexbc
737 Max should NOT FLY AGAIN, PERIOD! Not because we don't need them, or that there's backlog in A320, or industry needs it, etc... because it is FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED, aerodynamically unstable, and unsafe!

The easiest way to explain it, is to say you put massive monster truck tires on your car, and your steering if turned all the way would cause tires to rub against your suspension, causing a crash! So then the "clever" engineers (sales reps demand) would design your steering wheel software to COUNTER when you go beyond the steer point that hits the suspension... it would STEER BACK to the other direction not to hit the suspension, this should work fine if you're driving in your shopping mall... BUT what happens when someone cuts you off at 100Mph in the middle of a highway and you have to steer quickly to avoid an accident, MASSIVE CRASH!

The low HEIGHT of the 737 and 1950s aerodynamics were NOT suitable for such a large engine, PERIOD! It needed a RE-DESIGN, and STILL DOES need a re-design, this freaking BS bandaid software solution could never ever fix the aerodynamic inefficiency and flawed design of placement of the engine. Boeing must start a new re-design of the 737 frame, YESTERDAY! Yeah, it will cause delays, may have to make 737 NG for a bit longer, industry won't be happy, may lose Southwest, etc... BUT that's the only long-term solution. ALL you guys think is bottom line, convenience, airline plans, available options, etc... as a newly dad, I would NEVER EVER risk my newborn life in a plane that has fundamental design flaws, nor should you, FAA, the public or any airline!
You are wrong in one thing - the 1950's aerodynamics. Yes, the nose looks exactly like the B367 from 1954, however, today's 737 has a lot of new things. For example a wing that's newer than the A320 wing.
BTW, you should read the whole topic. I wasn't happy with AC's decision purchasing the 737 in 2013, I'm not happy with it now. But the MAX will fly again. And just for the record, I couldn't give a darn about Boeing's bottom line.