FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy Hack (international)
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:59 am
AviationFreak

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think you're misunderstanding things.

1)if flight (not ticket stock, but flight number) is sold as AF/KL marketed is what matters for upgrades. If they sell it using the DL code, normal windows apply. If using AF/KL code than DoD only.
2)Of course AF/KL can sell fares that include F on domestic connections. Has nothing to do with upgrades.
3)Unless something has changed, BE fares/restrictions don't happen with mixed airline bookings.
I think we're talking past one another. Yes, if all flights are AF/KL marketed, then obviously DoD is the only shot at C+/F on the DL operated segments. However, you can get an underlying basic/'light' AF/KL fare that books into non-BE on DL-marketed segments.

For example, I have an upcoming flight (actually, on 006 stock) that uses AF/KL fares with a B designator (second to last place in the fare basis) indicating it's a basic/light/hand baggage only fare. BUT, here are the flights:

KL1822 TXL-AMS L
AF3667 AMS-ATL V (operated by DL)
DL806 ATL-PHL V (as a PM, I've already cleared into C+)

another example is

DL1992 LGA-ATL L (C+ upgrade to SU)
DL3665 ATL-AMS N (operated by DL)
KL xxxx AMS-FCO N

My point was that you can book flights such that DL domestic connections don't book into E, even if its a 'light/basic' fare. In my experience, this has only worked where the transatlantic segments are AF/KL marketed. It takes some playing to get these to price out.

I hope this clarifies things and isn't too hard to follow! It still means you have to deal with no C+ upgrade on the long-haul segment, but softens the blow a bit (and saves at least $100 in most cases).