FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:27 pm
dfw88

Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, I now wonder what the heck I reported on! Possibly a certain beach on Maui.....and, oh by the way, I did keep my swimsuit on.

However, way back in the day when I was attending the University of Texas at Austin, it was an accepted practice to go "skinny dipping" at nearby Lake Travis at a place called "Hippie Hollow". Ah, those were days....and the Armadillo World Headquarters, a large, comfortable counter cultural music hall in Austin that also had a terrific outdoor beer garden serving wonderful food, was in full swing. I attended quite a few concerts at the 'Dillo during my time in Austin. Artists and bands that played at the Armadillo over the years included Dire Straits, The Police, Roxy Music, Genesis, Janis Joplin, the Jerry Garcia Band, Leon Russell, Bruce Springsteen, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, Little Feat, Fats Domino, Journey, the Pat Metheny Group, Roy Buchanan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Van Morrison, Frank Zappa, ZZ Top, Kraftwerk, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, Willie Nelson and many, many more.

And, of course, there's an airline angle here as AUS was served by only three air carriers back in the mid 1970's: Braniff International operating Boeing 727-100 and 727-200 equipment, Continental operating the Boeing 720B and 727-200, and Texas International operating the Douglas DC-9-10. The longest nonstop flight from Austin back in 1975 was a daily service to Washington Dulles flown by Braniff with a 727-100. Things have changed quite a bit at AUS since then with air service being moved some years ago to the old Bergstrom AFB (a former B-52 and F-4 base). BA showed up at Austin awhile back and I now hear that KLM is planning to begin service into AUS as well.
Some things change and some don't...

AUS airport not only has BA (been there for a few years) and KL starting next May, but also LH to FRA, who started last year, forcing DE off the route. DY has done LGW for a few years and just (as in, this morning) announced CDG as well. Five TATL destinations from AUS compared to the IAD you remember.

On the other hand, Hippie Hollow is still very much a clothing-optional beach locale. According to Wikipedia it's the "only legally recognized clothing-optional public park in the State of Texas". While I never went during my years in Austin, based on what I've heard I doubt it's reputation has changed much since you were there!