FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overweight Passenger Sues Southwest Over Seating Policy
Old Aug 31, 2004, 2:10 pm
gutt22

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
I may have said it before in this thread's earlier days, but this week's Airline reminded me of it: The problem with Southwest's policy of making people buy two tickets if they're too large is simply that it is not consistently applied. People who are asked to buy a second ticket one time aren't asked to do so another. Whether you're asked seems to depend on who you draw as your ticket agent. That's ridiculous. Unless they find a way to come up with some objective test that serves as the policy's basis, they're going to run the risk of losing lawsuits and upsetting customers. They need to pick something -- if you need a seatbelt extender, for example -- and stick with it in all cases. This hit-and-miss enforcement is simply unacceptable. Heck, just have a WN seat with a seatbelt there in the check-in area or gate area -- just like they do for carry-on baggage! I don't care, so long as the enforcement is consistent.