FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Chicago North Shore (Wheeling) [Master Thread]
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:47 am
dcchi

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Staying here one night on points for last-minute reservation. I am a legacy Marriott customer, so don't often stay at SPG brands, but this Westin is as nice or nicer than a very good Marriott/Renaissance. Hotel overall is clean and nicely designed (opened in 2009). Rooms are good size. At check-in, status acknowledged. Requested late check out and given 4pm without any issue. Was offered breakfast in ground floor restaurant (breakfast at restaurant opens at 6:30am according to a sign if I saw it right it said the buffet is normally 18.95 and half price for kids) as option choice instead of points at ground floor hotel, but suggested not needed because of lounge breakfast availability. Hotel has pool which looked pretty nice (decent size and clean). Beds were wonderful. Concierge floors are 13-16, though lounge itself is on 16. Lounge is SMALL. In evening, complimentary beer and wine from 6-8pm, so lounge was packed and so small that I took a couple of bottles of water (normal size, i.e., not small, bottles of Aquafina....Pepsi products were also there, as were various yogurts, etc. which I assume are available all day) and left. I believe that the lounge is open every day from 6am-11pm (to get drinks, etc.) but can't be 100% sure I heard that correctly.

All in all, definitely one of the nicer Bonvoy options north of Chicago.

One thing I definitely dislike is the parking situation. As it should be, self-parking is free. It's just that the parking lot (of which there is plenty of space) is a little ways walk from the main hotel entrance and there is no side door entrance that makes it easier (as far as I can tell). When we stayed, the weather was fine, but I can imagine it sucking on a windy winter or wet day.