FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hawaii from east coast.
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:50 am
737MAX8

Originally Posted by Tanic
Gets you another flight credit closer to A-List/A+. Misconnects are very unlikely on an overnight stopover.
That is a fair point but the one time I do it then my first flight would be canceled lol

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
When Southwest started Hawaii service they said connections would be added over time. At this point they are suffering from plane shortages to do that. Some planes are rotating out of the fleet 34 MAXs are grounded and another 40 some cannot be delivered.

I wouldn't expect them to be adding service until the MAX situation is clarified and those planes put in service.
Having connections to further East isn't dependent on the MAX situation. It's dependent on flying redeyes back to the mainland.

Originally Posted by Tanic
On my last HNLPHX flight it was the same airplane that stopped in SJC and terminated in PHX for the night had two distinct flight numbers. I don't know why it wasn't marketed as direct, although at $178 I didn't really care. The cabin crew stayed and pax had to deplane and reboard. Perhaps when the ETOPS portion terminates, they use another flight number to make subs available at the intermediate station.

My best guess is to indeed separate ETOPS flights from non ETOPS flights. Different policies and procedures. I also had the same experience OGG-OAK-DAL. Same plane, different flight number.

It makes even more sense keeping separate when going over. Often the same plane would do DAL-OAK-OGG but in OAK there is like 100+ minutes of ground time for the pre ETOPS departure check done by maintenance.

They are already greatly expanding service in November and January without the MAX.