FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels in Korea compared to other East Asian countries?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:10 am
falcon9xr

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
Hotels in Korea compared to other East Asian countries?

Question for those that have visited hotels in the eastern Asian area and are familiar with the Marriott scene in Korea. This is somewhat Marriott-centric, as I have status with Marriott, but would be interested in other hotel families as well.

I'm US-based, and have stayed at a number of Korean Marriott family brands for the past couple of years as a Titanium (or equivalent before the merger). Every full-service hotel I've been to in Korea has given me access to the sauna on top of the fitness center and lounge. This includes:
  • Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam
  • JW Marriott Seoul
  • Sheraton Seoul D Cube
  • Sheraton Grand Incheon
  • The Plaza
  • Westin Chosun Busan
I've also stayed at the JW Marriott Dongdaemun, which has a sauna, but did not include access (they charged 40,000KRW per-visit iirc).

The sauna has (in addition to the sauna) at least three baths, a hot bath, a really hot bath, and a cold bath. They usually also offer a body scrub (for an additional fee) and have grooming stations (where you can blow-dry your hair, lotion up, etc) and other small amenities. Some also have barbershops inside, a relaxation lounge, etc.

My wife and I were considering visiting other East Asian countries, and weren't sure if this sort of offering was a uniquely Korean thing, an East Asian thing, or a non-USA thing. I've never seen this sort of thing offered at any of my American stays. I rather enjoy this particular perk, and would like to know if any of the other more traveled FTers can offer insight into whether properties in other countries also include this for members with status.

Also would be curious to know if any of the Courtyards (or any other in the Marriott family (or really other hotel families)) in Korea have this amenity. It's very hard to discern whether a property offers this from their websites, and short of having a stay there (or asking people who have utilized it), I don't know how I could find out if a particular property offers this or not.

Appreciate the help!