FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA and BA Account
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:10 am
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Blake Baldwin Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Blake Baldwin
Hi all,
I was wondering if it would be smart to sign up for a BA account I already have an American account. The only thing I could see this being useful for is the fact that Avios are a better deal generally then American Miles. A problem I could see is once I get status that status can't be used if I have status on AA and I put my BA # in correct me if I am wrong on that.
How much flying do you do?
Do you fly BA or IB?
Do you have many AA ff miles/AA status?
What do you use the AA (& DL) ff miles for

Each ffp has good & bad aspects

BA status reqires 4 qualifying BA/IB operated and/or marketed flights. Full details on BA web site and FT BA forum (sticky threads)

One advantage of BA ffp is that OW Sapphire/Emerald status will get you lounge access on USA domestic/regional flights where as the same OW AA status will not.

BA freq flyers do not get AA upgrades as much. The cross airline AA/BA/IB upgrade system has onerous t&c's and requires an expensive base fare booking class.

AA awards are by broad zones. BA awards generally by distance. BA awards are known for award cash carrier surcharges. An AA award on BA also has the cash surcharges. BA frequent flyers only have access to AA saver awards (not AAnytime)

Airlines ffp are being more restrictive on cherry picking status benefits/swapping ff numbers. Some posts in the AA forum on that topic (JonNYC)

Look at post 3 here. Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

The grass in not always greener on the other side

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 23, 2019 at 12:30 am