FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overweight Passenger Sues Southwest Over Seating Policy
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:02 am
skaman

The Real Issue

The Real Issue is that we live in a society of overabundance and overindulgence. Aside from that, we also have a portion of the population that has mental, not physical and/or genetic, issues that aid in creating obesity as commonplace.

We've all seen at least on Jerry Springer show about a 200 lbs 6th grader, and let me tell you, it's not genetics. Genetics does cause one to be fat.

I have an obese sister who weighs almost twice as much as me. It ain't genetics.

Living in our society of entitlements, we all feel we have a right to this or that and do not look at the repercussions to self or universe or anything in between.

Obesity is not a disability; there are several cures and preventions available. Instead of attempting to accommodate obesity and all of its effects, we should be attempting to cure the problems that surround it on an individual level and on a macro-level.

Obesity not only affects the individual afflicted, but it affects everyone, from the PAX that has to endure having less room to all of us for higher premiums on health insurance, over-taxation of health care resources, higher hopsitalization and care rates due to obese people's "lifestyles," to, yes, higher airplane tickets due to these f-ing lawsuits.

This string may be humorous to some, but it should be a wake up call to all. If we are self-interested, we would be helping these people lose weight and start a healthy lifestyle for the good of themselves and all.

By the way, what is obese? Obese is anything over 30% bodyfat; that's almost one third of your weight in fat! Healthy people have: 18% or less body fat for men and 22% or less body fat for women.

Most of us 'Mericuns are fat/overweight and too many of us are obese. So before making anymore cracks, take a look at your gut and ask, what can I do to make myself more healthy and set an example for obese people.