FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:11 pm
threeoh

Originally Posted by geye91
Hi,

I've been battling since May for my Trip Interruption/Cancellation claim and final got 2 of 3 expenses paid but was still curious about the 4th.

I booked a trip to Costa Rica and due to weather related flight cancellation and then re-routing I didn't get to destination until 9+ hours after planned time, which was then ~midnight. I was supposed to get in around 2 PM and take a puddle jumper flight to small town where resort was, but had to reschedule puddle jumper fight to next available time (early morning the following day). I was able to get credit for staying in hotel next to airport, reschedule fee for puddle jumper flight, but they denied my claim for reimbursement of first night of hotel at resort. Since the resort was non-refundable and there was no way for me to get there I put a claim in. The issue is that I booked the resort with my chase southwest card, and the SW card doesn't have same interruption/cancellation benefits. I was told by one person at card benefit services it would be covered since my flight to costa rica (and all other expenses) were on my chase saphire reserve card, and then in final ruling they said it wasn't covered. Does anyone know if this expense should be covered or not or have you had experience with this type of claim?

If anyone could help provide some insight that would be much appreciated.
I don't understand why they denied you -- did you try asking?

Maybe they don't want to reimburse you for a hotel you didn't use AND pay for a hotel you did use on the same night? I don't see anything in the guide to benefits that prohibits using Trip Cancellation (covers the things you missed) and Trip Delay (covers the unexpected new expense) on the same night, but maybe that's their logic?

As far as I know as long as some portion of the trip is paid with the CSR, the whole trip should be covered by Trip Cancellation.