FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:09 pm
threeoh

Originally Posted by floridatraveler90
Hi Everyone, I know with my Chase Sapphire preferred card I have some coverage for trip cancellation due to severe weather but not sure if my situation would exactly fall under this. I live on the gulf coast of FL and I booked an IHG hotel for 15k points for tonight in Miami. There is a tropical storm hitting my side of the state but there hasn't been a state of emergency declared in my county. My wife and I decided it wasn't best for us to make the trip. If we just no-show the 15k points will be deducted; if we cancel the trip the cash rate for the trip for the night will be charged. Wondering if anyone can give me advice if I should just take the 15k hit or I should cancel and have them charge my CSR card and submit a claim due to the severe weather?
I'm assuming you paid for some portion of the trip with the CSR or UR points? That's required for the insurance to cover it.

But....seems like exactly what the insurance is meant to cover. The standard used is "Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip" not an official state of emergency. I'd document that the weather prediction is severe (NWS forecast, local newspaper stories, etc.).

Note that if the cancel penalty is in UR points then you can get reimbursed $0.01 per point, but generally you have to try to cancel to get the insurance to kick in...so if that triggers a cash charge then you'll have to submit for reimbursing the cash.

Read the guide for full info: https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve2