FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New here - and a question on getting MQM's
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:58 am
arameth

Programs: Delta
New here - and a question on getting MQM's

Just started traveling again and loving the info shared on this site. I have a question on Delta MQM's and possible solutions to earning silver status before year end.

What I'm seeing is that I'm going to miss getting to silver status by year end. I will easily meet MQD requirements, but I'm going to fall short 5-6k MQM's. MQS's are probably not a viable goal (14 to go).

I just got the Delta Plat AMEX business card. I believe that if I hit $25k spending on my AMEX, I'll get 10k bonus MQM's - putting me over the top. I don't think I'll spend this much on regular expenses before end of year...I'm estimating I'll be about $7k short of spending to hit 25k. BUT - what if I were to buy $7k of AMEX gift cards on my credit card to get to $25k? I will use the gift cards for sure but not all at once. Is there any policy or other hurdle I'm not seeing that would prevent me from doing this?

It's either that or take some unnecessary flights to get the MQM's? Anyone know of a cheap first class flight leaving ATL to somewhere domestic (1500 miles or so)? I think that would put me over the top too. Can someone recommend a way to search flights leaving from a specific location and filter just first class, and show all possible destinations with pricing? Google flights does some of this, but not exactly.

If anyone has input on the "buying AMEX gift card" strategy or other ideas on how to get MQM's, I'd appreciate the help.