FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TRIP REPORT: The big Europe (via Africa) trip 2019- TL, QF, JQ, BA, IB, VY, LM
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:16 am
nancypants

Programs: QF WP
19th July 2019
Up early for the ferry- the hotel had offered to put a take away breakfast out for me but it seems it was snapped up by someone else before I got chance

It was an easy walk to the ferry terminal and a cheap ticket across. I was easily confused by the path from ticket office to the ferry and almost got on the wrong ferry, but luckily the boys helped me out. I was even more confused by the boarding pass issue. Luckily the galley had hot tea and bacon butties, reasonably priced

How's the serenity?

After about 20 minutes we were onto Westray and another bus trip

I was staying at the Pierowall hotel, and they very kindly let me check in early and have a nap, and do some laundry. They also declined to charge me for the first night I'd missed which I thought was jolly decent, and I ate all my meals there by way of trying to make up the loss of income
https://pierowallhotel.co.uk

double room with sea view, en suite and sitting area, 60 quid a night, can't complain

I spent the rest of the day breaking in my walking boots around the island; I was slightly drenched at one point but soon dried off

Noltland Castle

Grobust beach

Walk to Noup Head

Noup head lighthouse

RSPB reserve and if this isn't the Queen's head I don't know what it is

Can't remember what I ended up dining on but can tell you that pairing the Orkney Rhubarb gin with ginger ale works well (although ginger beer would be even better just FYI)

Last edited by nancypants; Oct 18, 2019 at 5:35 am