FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On what authority is cell phone use banned at Customs?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:45 pm
bostontraveler

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by maninblack
source? experience? legal reference as to my/our/CBPs option to send someone back home on "any whim?"
It's well-established international law that even passengers holding a visa are not GUARANTEED entry into any country. That said, CBP SHOULD have a reason to deny entry and in normal times I would expect that. But their powers have been expanded more and more and by the way I see them treating people it would not shock me in the least. One's ability to contest a refusal is also limited.

TheIntercept.com (an investigative journalism website) has a LOT of articles on CBP and the application of detention, deportation, etc with questionable cause. Read their report on the low (practically non-existent) bar required to have someone included on a watch list. Basically it could be any angry cop (you pissed him off), CBP official, whoever... you get put on a list and they make your life impossible. For a long time and with no recourse.

They also revealed the existence of a scoring system... something I was also told IN PERSON in Madrid once...

All quite frightening. <redacted>?

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 17, 2019 at 4:25 pm Reason: Political commentary better left for OMNI/PR