FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Civil Unrest - Survival Guide Q&As (Flame Free)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:00 am
ricktoronto

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by christep
Yes, 90% likely that it will be running, and if not then you can always get a taxi for far less money than a hotel car.
Maybe 90% if you mean running from HK Station but they seem to have Kowloon AE closed more often than open lately which for me is a pain.

You can follow SCMP for their live coverage when the incidents are going on. I note the incidents tend to start after lunch and end around 11 p.m. Not a rule but SCMP ends coverage around 11 p.m. when things seem to clear out.

I was planning to come to visit, and work around the protestors' schedule with an early arrival and an assumption that if I stayed in Kowloon, I'd have to taxi and from to HK Station to catch the AE at its one stop. Just before noon. Or stay at the Regal HKIA the night before a flight behind the sandbags and security detail.

And maybe not arrive on Saturday or Sunday despite the taxi being less busy.

There is a big Chinatown where I live. I wonder if I could get someone there to paint "tourist" in Chinese on the front and back of a T-shirt worn outdoors.