FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Eva Air Announces Significant Expansion and Changes for 2019
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:25 am
coolfish1103

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by east_west
Could the lack of PE on 789/78K be addressed after loads/ranges are settled through a refit?
I would say it's better off to just buy more 789s and fit Premium Economy in them if necessary. The thing is many of the routes are so time sensitive there is no point operating a smaller cabin. It's cost effective to just have one flight at JFK utilizing the 77W and not bother with a smaller aircraft. All the North American routes are necessary to have late night departure flights. The day time flight at JFK and SEA in the past were not feasible enough for EVA. SEA is now copying LAX and SFO to have two late night flight and day time flight probably won't return unless there is really a demand.

789 with Premium Economy will be good for thin routes like BOS, IAD and maybe ORD. I am not so sure if it's necessary to start DFW. If EVA never bothered with ONT and SAN, I don't see DFW going.

Competitor like CI is doing pretty much the same. Late night at both LAX and ONT, and returning the 3rd flight in the afternoon. They axed the day time SFO flight and I won't be surprised if they return with an evening flight at SFO should they ever get enough aircraft (which isn't the case now).